Happy first day of fall!! I gotta admit…I do love fall. The vibrant colors, the smell in the air, the crisp chill, hot apple cider, pumpkin picking, cozy sweaters, fingerless gloves, and boots! Since today is officially the first day of fall, let’s take a moment to embrace the new season and make a fall bucket list to fully enjoy the season!
Even though fall means shorter days, colder weather, and winter right on its heels, fall also means slowing down (a little!) and spending time with family and friends. It also means the world around you explodes with color, comfort food (and stretchy pants!) make a comeback, and football games become the sound of the weekends. It’s when we start to seek out coziness and prep for the holidays that loom right around the corner.
With the start of each new season, I like to take a little time to think about all the things about the upcoming season that make me happy. Since I’m a list-making, goal-setting kind of gal, I can’t start a new season without going through this exercise.
I jot down what I hope to do, see, hear, feel, taste, and touch. I don’t use this as a hard list of things I must do! I don’t write this with any expectations of accomplishing everything on my list, nor do I put any pressure on myself to check everything off (and for the record, this is NOT a list to include chores…keep your plans to clean out the gutters on another list, okay?). This just serves to help bring me back to the moment when I start straying down the path of life and all the little things tend to get pushed to the side in favor of obligations and other yucky-adult stuff.
My Fall Bucket List
1. Pick pumpkins
2. Bake my favorite Cranberry, Chocolate Chip, Walnut Bread
3. Go for a hike or walk in the woods while the leaves are all kinds of orange, red, and yellow
4. Eat Apple Cider donuts (even better…make my own!)
5. Drink Hot Apple Cider
6. Watch the Charlie Brown Halloween TV special
7. Decorate my house with fall decor
8. Finish a knitting project
9. Take photos in Central Park, NYC
10. Buy roasted chestnuts from a street vendor in NYC
11. Attend a Fall Festival
12. Roast pumpkin seeds
13. Listen to Thriller on repeat more times than I can count!
14. Participate in a 30 days of Gratitude project in November
15. Bake something Apple flavored
16. Do a DIY/craft project involving acorns
17. Read a book in front of the fire on the first cold night of the season
18. Paint pumpkins (real or fake!)
19. Take fall photos
20. Take a night walk to enjoy the smell of fires burning in the neighbors’ fireplaces
Having this little list helps me to focus and not forget to take some moments to stop and enjoy where I am, who I’m with, and what’s going on around me.
If you’ve never tried it, give it a go! You may be surprised at how much more you get out of the season by stopping today and really thinking about what it is that you enjoy about the time of year we’re about to embark upon. It’s so easy to get caught up in the day to day tasks that you forget to just stop and appreciate the beauty of all the glorious colors of fall once the leaves start changing! Even if this isn’t your favorite time of the year, surely there’s something you like about fall :).
If you want some more Autumn inspiration, check out my Pinterest boards!
Your turn…what’s your favorite thing about fall? What are you most looking forward to?