5+ Reasons why I Love my Design Love Planner!

Last week, I did a pretty detailed post where I compared 5 different planners, because, well…I love planners.  It’s a sickness really!  I figure the best way to cure it is to find THE perfect planner, right?  I mean it has to exist somewhere!

Well, you guys!  I think I found it!!! The Design Love Planner has just about everything I need and want! I briefly touched on it last week, but I didn’t want to go into all the beautiful details in that post.  So today, I want to give this lovely lady her own showcase so you can fall in love with her too!!

We live in a very digital world where everything is online in some fashion or form.  “There’s an app for it” is 100% true for just about everything these days!  Don’t get me wrong…I LOVE the digital world!  But, when it comes to my schedule and keeping myself organized, a good old fashioned pen and paper planner works best for me.

I think better when I can write it out with my pen.  I like being able to flip through tangible pages.  I love looking over the scribbles and the crossed out appointments, because that’s life.  Life is messy and life is constantly changing and I love that my planner reflects this!

I keep all of my old planners and from time to time, I’ll flip back through them to see what was going on at the time.  I love being able to see my handwriting and remember past outings or appointments.  Depending on what it was, sometimes it makes me laugh out loud and sometimes it makes me sad.  I love being able to see how things have changed, yet how some things are still the same (very cliche, but oh so true!).

As I’ve navigated the world of planners over the past few years, I’ve narrowed it down to a pretty tall order for what I need in a perfect planner.  For me, these include…
  • Monthly view
  • Space to write down my to-do’s for each day
  • Somewhere to jot down my appointments & general reminders for the day
  • A place for a few notes
  • A goal setting section
  • A pocket to hold stamps and other small pieces of paper
  • Monthly tabs
  • Pretty
  • Not too big, not too small…she needs to be jussstttt right!

This doesn’t seem like a crazy list, right?  I mean, it sounds like what most planners provide, yet as my post from last week shows…it’s a harder task to accomplish than I imagined!

Until now, that is!  Allow me to introduce you to the Design Love Planner.

I first discovered this planner through a fellow planner addict friend.  She sent me a link about a month or so ago and I was SO mad at her (just kiddin’, girlfriend ;)).  You see, I had already pre-ordered a new planner for 2015, so how could I find the perfect one after the fact!  That’s like finding Mr. Perfect after he’s already engaged.  I knew as I flipped through the images and did a few google searches, THIS WAS THE PLANNER FOR ME!

At long last, could I really have just found my planner soulmate??

Well, I had to find out!  Fortunately, the other planner company was kind enough to cancel my pre-order and refund my money.  So, I quickly placed my order and {im}patiently waited for it to arrive.

Since it was coming from Vancouver, there is a bit of a delay (those darn customs!), but it’s all worth it, my friends!!!

This planner is AH-MAZING!

Wanna take a peek inside? Yes?  Then let’s get right to it (and ladies, try not to drool on your keyboards, okay?!).

Love #1:  The size of this planner is, you guessed it, jussstttt right!
Since I tend to carry a decent amount of stuff around in my work bag everyday, I don’t want to have to take up a lot of space with a big, bulky planner.  But, at the same time, I don’t want something so small that I don’t have any room for writing down what I need!  This one is just perfect and measures in at 5.4″ x 7.7″ .  She doesn’t take up a lot of space, isn’t too heavy, and still manages to offer tons of room for writing everything down!

Love #2:  Not 1, but 2 pockets!!  My postage stamps have never been so safe and secure.
The inside of both the front and back covers sport pockets for your organizing fun.  The front pocket is a slash style pocket and the back pocket is more of an envelope style.  Perfect for small notes, business cards, or receipts!

Love #3:  The Monthly view…just big enough to write down a few appointments or reminders, but not so big that I’m left with tons of white space so I feel like I have no social life.

I don’t tend to write down a lot of details on a monthly spread.  This is where I jot down some appointments (hair, dentist, doctor, etc.), if I’m traveling, I’ll note the location of where I’ll be on the dates, and any other ‘top level’ information.  I save the nitty-gritty details for the daily pages.  Keeping it rather high level helps me quickly see where I’m booked and where I’m free (perfect when I’m on the phone with my doctor and trying to nail down a mutually convenient time for an appointment!).

My only teeny-tiny complaint is the little bitty months in the bottom corner for the previous and next months.  I have 20/20 vision and no need for glasses and the font on these miniature calendars is so small I can barely make out the numbers.  This isn’t a huge deal for me, but just wanted to mention that in case you do make use of these types of calendars.

Love #4:  There are TWO sets of weekly pages…one for your appointments and one for your to-do’s.  Thank you DLP people for understanding how my brain works and listening to my telepathic cries for planner help!
First, you have a two page weekly spread with a layout similar to the Erin Condren Life Planner.  The days are separated into three chunks…morning, day, and night.  This was one of my favorite aspects of the EC Life Planner, so when I saw this in the photos of this planner, I was like YES!

But, wait!  It gets better!  Turn the page and you have a SECOND weekly spread where you have a bullet list for each day of the week!  Squeal!  Genius, genius, GENIUS!!

Now, I can write down my appointments and general reminders on the Life Planner style pages and keep my ever changing to-do list for the week on the following pages!  This right here was the major selling point for me.  When I saw this, that’s when I knew I had to get my hot little hands on one of these bad girls!

I’ll put this simply….THIS.IS.GENIUS!!

Love #5:  Monthly goals, lists, and expenses pages
Just when you think this planner can’t get any more awesome, or that it can’t pack in any more features, you find these lovely pages!  At the beginning of each month, you have a section to jot down your goals, a page to list your upcoming expenses, and a page for your monthly to-do’s.

I LOVE this!!  I don’t generally make note of my expenses in my planner, but this is so straightforward, I’m going to start tracking it here, or at the very least jotting down my upcoming bills, to better track where my money is going each month.

Bonus!  Place holder ribbons, note pages, and more!
Seriously…there’s MORE!  To keep track of where you are during the year and month, there are TWO attached ribbons.  I plan to use one to mark the current monthly view and one to mark the current week (most likely on the to-do page).  The ribbons are even in two different colors so you don’t mix up which one is marking which page.  Genius!!

I also love that at the end of each month and at the very back of the planner you will find lined note pages.  Perfect for jotting down notes on how the month went as you’re going along and overall or random notes at the end!

Another really fun feature is removable image pages to mark the beginning of each month.  These cute pages are so much fun and I look forward to adding these to my pin boards as I finish each month!

I love that this planner is girly, but in a subtle ‘grown up’ way.  The black, white, and gold is very sophisticated, but the other various touches throughout the planner give it the girly appeal without looking like something a pre-teen girl would cart around in her backpack (do kids still use backpacks these days??).

I can’t WAIT until January 1 to start using my planner!  If you’re keeping track, the only thing on my ‘must have’ list that is missing from the Design Love Planner are tabs.  But, that is not a deal breaker since I can easily add some tabs myself.  I have a simple gold tab plan in mind.  Once I add those to my pages, I’ll be sure to share it via my Instagram account (so follow me if you don’t want to miss it!).

**********

Your turn, friends…how do you keep yourself organized?  Leave me a comment and let me know!

**********

**I am in no way affiliated with Design Love Planner and they did not ask me to review their planner. I am doing this for no compensation of any kind and merely out of the love of sharing it forward and introducing my favorite things to as many people as I can reach! :)

Comments

Hi Liz! After I start using it I’ll let you know how it goes, but you seriously can’t go wrong with the passion planner!! :)

Thanks Rikki! It might be sad that I seriously get SO excited about planners! LOL But, we each have our ‘thing’, right? 😀

What a thorough review! I will start giving hints about my Christmas present! haha Congratulations on finding your planner soul-mate! I can’t believe the size considering how much the planner has to offer!

Seriously, Sue! I couldn’t believe how much is packed in here either and yet it’s NOT heavy or bulky at all! And (I forgot to mention this) the pages aren’t crazy thin to accommodate all of these different sections. The DLP people just got it right! :) Hope Santa is listening and delivers on Christmas morning!!

Tanya says

This is really good. Why is it so hard to find a planner hahaha. I am like you I like to see it physically. Something about it I just can’t explain it but it’s soooo hard to find something that I like hahha. I can spend hours in a store. I wish I could go online and build my own. http://www.legacychangers.org

I hear you! You’d think a planner would be rather easy to buy…just go to Staples and pick one up, but not so much :). After my tour around so many planners, I’m seriously thinking about designing my own at some point down the road! Glad someone else gets my need to write it on paper! :)

I love my digital app Cozi, but when I started blogging I wanted a paper planner so things didn’t get mixed up. Its been years since I’ve used one, but I have to say I found myself getting giddy like I used to when I would pick out a new planner in college and high school. Thanks for sharing!

Oooh…I haven’t heard of Cozi, so I must check that out! :) I completely agree with it being like the beginning of school when it comes time to get a new planner! There’s something about a brand-spanking new planner that just makes me feel all organized and on top of things!

Oh that’s positively adorable. Thank you so much for giving such an indepth review and including lots of pictures about everything that is featured. The black, white, and gold colouring is actually really sophisticated looking without being plain.

Hi Tilly! Yes! There’s something so nice & refreshing about the black, white, and gold! I’m glad you enjoyed the review and it was helpful! Thanks so much for stopping by :)!

I too fell in love with all the points you said above with the DLP! I can’t wait to get mine!! When I saw the weekly to do it was perfect! Then when I realized the notes after every month and at the end of the planner. It was a done deal!!! I’ve been using EC Right now and it just gets so bulky for me. Really excited for this! And to think this is her first year creating this planner. I can see with our feedback how this will just g et better and better!

Hi Jilliane! I know, right? I am so glad it’s now Jan 1 and I can now carry a MUCH lighter and smaller planner that still gives me everything I need! I hope you get yours soon!!

Oh no!!!! Well, that’s no fun :(. Hopefully she’ll get some more in for 2015 so you don’t have to wait for 2016!!

I love having a planner that isnt on my phone or online. I hate the digital need to have everything online and I love writing, and pens, and stationary, and all the things you lose out on when typing!

Whitney says

Update for anyone that doesn’t know – they are now offering this planner in 6 month! The one on pre-order right now is for July-December of 2015! I’m thrilled that I do not have to wait until 2016 to use this planner – it’s perfect! Thank you for your review!

(Also – what are those uber cute stickers you have in your photos?)

Hi Whitney! Thanks so much for the update! I love that there will be a 6 month version so it’s not as bulky to carry around (although, this planner definitely isn’t bulky!).
      The heart stickers are from Michaels and the banner stickers are from Emily Ley. :)

Karen says

I LOVE a good planner and this one looks awesome. My search for the perfect planner has one more detail that I just can’t find in a high quality pre-formatted planner….I need it to run from July- June. I am a teacher, my year really begins in August. I cannot switch calendars at the calendar year, I am planning wayyy ahead constantly and would have to carry two planners for a few months. I currently use a 16 month EC planner to adjust to this schedule. Any other options? Karen

Hi Karen! It’s so hard to find that perfect planner, right?! This planner was recently updated to offer a July – December…so it’s only 6 months worth, but it does start in July. For January-June of 2016, it includes the monthly calendars, just not the weekly pages, so it’s a bit more compact, but not sure if that works for you or not. Here’s a link if you want to check it out: http://www.thedesignloveco.com/products/design-love-planner I recently got one of these (and will be doing a post featuring this later this month) and it’s very nice! Same pages as what I show in this post, but the book is a bit more compact since there’s only 6 months of the weekly spread.

Another good option may be the new Day Designers. They’re partnering with Blue Sky Planners with a whole bunch of different options and varieties. Here’s a link, but it doesn’t seem to have too much info (I think the Day Designer website might have some videos): http://www.bluesky.com/designer-series/day-designer.html
      They go on sale online July 12 and they’re also going to be stocked at Target (which makes me SO happy!). Since they’re just coming out now, I’m betting their August start dates, but I don’t know that for sure.

Hope that helps!! :)