Birchbox Sample Box {February 2015}

The middle of each month is always an exciting time around my house.  Why?  Because that’s when the three subscription box services I belong too start showing up at my door!  And….I LOVE it!  It’s like Christmas morning three times every.single.month!!  So, today, I’m lifting the lid on my Birchbox to let you take a little peek inside.

Taking the lid off the Birchbox February 2015 monthly subscription sample box! via randomlittlefaves.com

Like last month, Birchbox gave me the option to pick my box ahead of time and since I liked the looks of their special ‘Rent the Runway’ Edition, I decided to forego the surprise and hop on board!

To cut right to the chase…I LOVE this month’s box!!

There’s only one item that I probably won’t use, but other than I seriously love everything else I got, so woohoo!

But enough chit-chat, let’s get to the goods, shall we?

Here are the goods that I received this month…

Birchbox Sample Box - February 2015 via randomlittlefaves.com

#1: Fekkai Blowout Hair Refresher Dry Shampoo

Fekkai Dry Shampoo - Birchbox Feb 2015 via randomlittlefaves.comI have sung the praises of the dry shampoo I received in last month’s box on numerous occasions.  In fact, to quote myself from last month, I referred to it as “…it’s the best dry shampoo out there, in my opinion.”.

I would now like to slightly retract that statement!  I still love, love, love that dry shampoo and haven’t found another one to rival it in the several years that I have been using it.  That is….until now.

I can’t say that the Fekkai dry shampoo is better, but it’s definitely on par with my ultimate fave!  One thing I like better about this one…the scent.  My fave doesn’t really have a pleasing scent, although it doesn’t have a lingering bad scent either.  This stuff, on the other hand, smells awesome!

As for performance, it definitely refreshed my locks and spruced it up.  I’m very strongly considering ordering this one the next time I need a new can.  And I can’t believe I’m saying that (seriously, folks, that’s how awesome this particular product is!).

#2: theBalm Read My Lips Lip Gloss

theBalm Lip Gloss - Birchbox Feb 2015 via randomlittlefaves.comI looovveeee me some lip gloss/lip balm!  I actually have a slight obsession and I have SO many tubes of gloss and tinted balms that it’s ridiculous, but a girl needs options, right?

Since I’m fair skinned, I tend to prefer a more natural/neutral lip, so this color excited me when I first opened the box (usually Birchbox gets it wrong with lip colors for me, so doing a happy dance that they got it right this time!).

This gloss is creamy and moisturizing and gives a nice coat of soft pink.  I’m a fan!  And, when the sample runs out, I might just have to add it to my overgrown collection because, well…why not??

#3: Sumita Color Contrast Eyeliner

Sumita Eye Liner - Birchbox Feb 2015 via randomlittlefaves.comWhen it comes to eyeliners, I don’t go crazy with making a dramatic line around my eyes.  I like to keep it pretty close to the lashline to accentuate and pop my eyes a little more.

This liner is very nice!  I received a dark blue…not quite navy, a little lighter than that, so it works really nice with my blue eyes.

After wearing it all day, it didn’t smear or wear off, so I’m sold!!  The sample size is pretty generous, so it’s going into the rotation and should last me quite a awhile, but when it starts getting low, I’d definitely order a full size version!

#4: Not Soap, Radio Body Wash

Not Soap, Radio Body Wash - Birchbox Feb 2015 via randomlittlefaves.comBody washes are one of those products that I don’t notice too much difference in with regards to how it ‘performs’.  As long as I’m clean, I’m happy.

So, what sells me on a body wash is the scent.  This stuff smells really good!  I don’t normally like fruit scented washes or lotions (*see story below for the why behind that!) and while this isn’t completely ‘fruity’ it’s definitely on that end of the spectrum!  According to the card in the box, it’s a blackberry and vanilla scent, so I think the vanilla tempers the fruitiness a bit.  Whatever…it just smells good!

With that said, the price tag comes in at $16 for a full size bottle, which is way more than what I’ll generally pay for body wash, so I’m not likely to order this one once the sample runs out, but I’ll enjoy it in the meantime!

#5: derma e Anti-Wrinkle Vitamin A Glycolic Scrub

derma e Anti-Wrinkle Glycolic Scrub - Birchbox Feb 2015 via randomlittlefaves.comThis is the one product that I likely won’t try.  I have skin that errs on the side of dry and this particular product is for ‘oily’ skin.  That makes me a little nervous since I’m afraid it’ll just dry out my already dry skin (especially in the middle of winter when it’s even drier!).  It sounds like a great product though!

So, sports fans…if you’re keeping score, that’s 4 out of 5 products that I LOVE!  That makes me a very happy sample-box-girl!

*So, now for the funny story on why I don’t like wearing fruit scented lotions/body washes…when I was in college, I worked on campus at one of the labs as an office assistant. One day, I slathered on some peach scented Bath & Body Works hand cream.  A few minutes later, one of the full time employees walked into my office and stopped and kind of sniffed the air.  He was from Jamaica and just had a way of delivering a line that was hysterical.  After sniffing around for a second or two, he looked at me and asked if the fruity smell was me.  I, very proudly, answered yes thinking he was going to comment on how nice it smelled.  Ummm…no….he kinda chuckled and said ‘You’re going to have a trail of ants following you…”.  Touche, my friend, touche.  Every since that day, I have refrained from fruit scented things because it immediately makes me envision a trail of ants following behind me!

If you want to check out reviews of past boxes, be sure to check out my Monthly Subscription Boxes page!  It has all the details for all of the boxes I currently receive!

And if you like the idea of these boxes and want to give it a try, you can sign up here -> Birchbox

Your turn friends!  What do you think?  Anything in the box that grabs your attention?  If you got the same or similar products, what are your thoughts?  Leave me a comment and let me know!

Comments

I could use some of that oily skin stuff! My face is off the chain oily! As for dry shampoo, does it work on really greasy hair? I have the worst time with that. Thanks for sharing this review!

Hi Tori! I don’t have super greasy hair, so I can’t comment for sure, but I will say I’ve been able to eek out an extra no wash day with dry shampoo (not specifically this one…I haven’t tried this one on 2 day old hair yet!). I do tend to wear it in a ponytail on that extra day, but it does keep it looking a little fresher and not greasy (but like I said, I don’t have super oily/greasy hair, but it does start to get a little there by 2 days post wash for me).

Hi Abby! I hear ya!! I love to try new ones in case they’re really good, which is why I was so excited that this one actually fit that bill this month, lol! Definitely give it a go and let me know what you think!! :-)

I got this same box. I wasn’t a big fan of the face scrub. It’s pretty stinky and has a weird texture. I’ll take all of the body wash samples that I can though! I’m kind of a hoarder in that department.

Hi Angie! Oooh…based on that description, I’m glad I didn’t try it, lol! I love to hoard my body wash samples too…I stock up so when I travel I always have some nice ones to use while I’m away! Thanks for stopping by! :-)

Yep. You getting your Birchbox is exactly like when my Wine Club arrives. The thing is, I’ve never met a wine I can’t get along with for at least one bottle, so I always love the whole thing no matter what! I might look in to Birchbox. You should get a commission. I should write about when my wine arrives.

LOL, Julie! At least you end up loving everything you get from your Wine Club!! I happen to love Birchbox…it’s my favorite of the Beauty Sampler boxes (granted, I’ve only tried 2 different beauty boxes, lol). I also love their website and the other stuff they sell, but they usually do pretty good in the stuff they send me! Thanks!!

Hi Heather! I’ve heard good things about Julep and ipsy, so I may at some point have to try them (for research purposes, of course! 😉 ). Is Julep only nailpolish?

Hi Amanda! I tried Stitch Fix for 3 months and only kept ONE thing out of all three boxes, so after the third box, I quit. I find it hard to find things that fit me like I like when I go try on stuff, so I can’t really fault Stitch Fix! Love the concept though!

I LOVE Birchbox! It’s so fun .I also saved up all the samples that weren’t really my thing, and we added them to little gift bags for moms having tough times .It was a great way to celebrate Valentines Day. Thanks for sharing your box … mine was completely different than yours this month. :)

Hi Jenn! That is a BRILLIANT idea!!! I always feel bad throwing out the samples I don’t use because it seems like such a waste. It never occurred to me to save them for a good cause! I am definitely going to look into opportunities around me to put them to better use. Thanks so much for stopping by and planting that seed…what wonderful thing you’re doing! :-)

Jeanatte says

I got this box too. Something about knowing what is coming ahead of time was a bit exciting. I really wanted the dry shampoo. Also, Sumita eyeliners are amazing. I will more than likely try the scrub, but I’ve read some not-so-great reviews on it, so it may be the bum product for the month.

I agree! It’s nice to be surprised, but there’s also something exciting about knowing what’s coming and knowing you’re probably going to like it, lol. :-)

Hi Earl-Leigh! It’s a great liner and just in general, Sumita is a good eyeliner brand. I’ve tried one other from them in the past and have had good luck with both!

Chelsie says

I took a break from birchbox so I could try Stitch Fix and Rocksbox and this post is making me miss it! I need to reactivate my account!

Hi Chelsie! I tried Stitch Fix for 3 months and only kept ONE thing out of the 3 boxes, so it didn’t really work for me, but I love the concept. I haven’t heard of Rocksbox, but will now hop on over to Google to see what I’m missing, lol. :-)

Kayty says

I am obsessed with dry shampoo. It is so stinkin’ handy! Plus I despise getting out of bed an extra 15 minutes early to shower… I love sleep hehehe. I will have to check out this brand + the other one from last month you recommended!

Hi Kayty – I totally hear ya!! That extra 15 mins of sleep (or just relaxing in my bed) is golden and worth every drop of the dry shampoo! 😉 If you give them a try, I’d love to hear what you think!!

Ooo, nice stuff! I definitely love a good smelling hair product, so that dry shampoo looks awesome! And yes, I use to use glycolic cream, and it is definitely drying for the skin. It’s great for getting rid of acne scars, so I can see why they would put it in a scrub. Being that it’s sold over the counter (mine wasn’t), I’m assuming that it’s not very strong, but you’re probably right to stay away from it if you already have dry skin. Great post!! :)
    ~Christina

Ali says

Dry Shampoo is a STAPLE for me. 5:30am comes way too fast, and this stuff has literally given me about 20 minutes of snooze time. haha Birchbox seems so fun. I’ve never done it, but after seeing everyone’s goodies each month, I’m quickly being persuaded.

Hi Ali! Yes! Dry Shampoo is one of the best inventions…its giving women everywhere an extra bit of sleep in the mornings!! I actually dread the mornings that I can’t rely on dry shampoo anymore and have to actually wash my hair. Those extra 20 minutes are a precious commodity! lol You should definitely give it a try (apologies…I’m a bit of an enabler, hehehe)!! :-)

I haven’t tried Ipsy yet, but I keep hearing awesome things about it, so I might have to give a go (for research purposes, of course, hehehe)!

Obsessed with finding the PERFECT dry shampoo. I love KEUNE’s version along with Kevin Murphy. But, always on the lookout for new ones! Thanks for sharing your BirchBox!! :)

Lol, I know what you mean, Karen! Dry shampoo is such a life saver, but can really be hit or miss! I tried another one today (it came in my Allure Sample Society box this month) and it’s pretty good too, but I like the Fekkai and the other one just a wee bit more (but it’s perfect for my gym bag, lol!). I gotta try the KEUNE and Kevin Murphy ones!!

Hi Andrea! I completely agree…I work in an office so walking around with a heavy eye is just a tad too much! LOL Granted, that means that’s how I do my makeup 99.9% of the time, so when I do have an evening out or a fancy do to attend, I’m at a loss for how to upgrade to a more party look! :)

Taylor Yates says

I would love to try the Fekkai dry shampoo! First of all, I have super thick hair that is a PAIN to wash, so I am all about any product that can allow me to wash my hair less often. Second, I tried some Fekkai products once and was super impressed, so I’d love to see if the dry shampoo measures up, especially after your review. Someday when I’m not a college student, a Birchbox/Ipsy subscription is SO happening.

Taylor

Dry shampoo is seriously one of the best inventions ever!! It’s giving women an extra 20 minutes (at least!) of sleep everywhere, lol! Yeah, Fekkai does a great job on their products, so I definitely think I’ll be indulging in the full size of this stuff (I just used some this morning and the scent is just awesome!). :-)