7 Tips to Speed Up Your Blog Post Writing Time

This post is one-stop in the month-long Blogger Babes blog tour which began here. To read this post in-context, we recommend starting at the beginning–then hop along with us for the full journey.

7 tips from Blogger Babes on how to speed up your blog post writing time!
First, I’d like to thank Vicky for her extremely kind support in Blogger Babes, my work as a blogger, and my tech-team. During the short few months I’ve known Vicky, I’ve seen her blossom as a blogger and rebrand a gorgeous social-friendly blog. To know I influenced some of her growth is truly humbling. And, I know Vicky can attest to the fact that I genuinely want to help all women bloggers to reach their highest potential as long as they are willing to put forth the effort! 😉

The more simply you state something, the less you’ll have to explain.  A 250-word blog post that opens a door onto a whole new level for a reader will have a greater impact than an article that is four times as long.

However, if you prefer to write longer posts, go for it. If you know your chosen subject well, writing a longer post will probably not take significant time from your schedule.  Just know your audience and be sure they actually want longer posts!

My partner Heidi and I chose to do a combination of short (125 – 250 words), typical length (350 – 500 word) and meaty pillar posts (1000 – 3000 words) on all our blogs.

7 Tips To Writing Blog Posts Quicker

As for actual writing tips, these should help you tighten your writing time:

1. Ideal blog post length varies with audience and topic, but generally posts containing between 350-500 words are the most successful.  (Remember that today’s audience has a much shorter attention span.)
  2. Use sub heads and bullet points. These are often what convince a reader to stop and read your post, so give them clues. It’s important to break up blocks of text.
  3. Write your Introduction, Conclusion and Call-to-Action first.  Then fill in the body.  (Using a template will help you remember this – which will help you save time).
  4. Be personal. Write as though you are speaking to your reader over a cup of coffee. Speak in the first person, addressing them as “you,” and you will across as friendly and engaging.
  5. Be practical. Share relevant information with real life examples.
  6. Keep your post focused!  The more you stay on topic, the less you’ll have to edit.  And if you find you’re going off on a side trail, remove it and use it as the basis of a new blog post. (Create an ideas file for your new post ideas).
  7. Use a timer.  This is just an experiment. You’ll find it either stresses you out or it just may help you stay focused.

The above tips are an excerpt from our debut “How to Write Blog Posts Faster” Tutorial, one of seven documents in our comprehensive Blogger Monthly Tutorials launching on May 1st. Each tutorial eKit comes with a tutorial, 21 tips sheet, worksheet, calendar, worksheets, all our recommended tools and much more!

Click here to sign up for the Early Bird special release of $5 per month!

Blogger Babes monthly eKits to help you improve your blog every single month!!

Win Two-Hours of Blog Coaching with Heidi and Ponn ($298 value)

We’re crowdsourcing the name of our Monthly Training tutorials. We need your help!

Grand Prize: Two-Hours of Blog Coaching by Blogger Babes Co-Founders (Value $298)

• Two one-hour blog coaching sessions, one with Heidi and one with Ponn. Coaching will be conducted separately on the phone (domestic), Skype, or our recorded webinar room (international).

How to Enter:

1. Make one comment below for each monthly subscription title you create. Make sure you use your primary email, so it’s easy for us to reach you if you win!

Rules:

1. Any age, any country. Minors with guardian’s permission.
  2. Unlimited number of entries across any/all guest blog posts from now until Monday, April 20, 2015.
  3. Deadline date: Monday, April 20, 2015 11:59 pm Pacific Time. [After all, we need time to design the covers. 😉 ]
  4. Winner selection: Heidi and I will select one winner and announce it Tuesday, April 21, 2015.

You can even champion your title by letting us know on Twitter @TheBloggerBabes or Facebook @TheBloggerBabes.

[Note: these actions do not serve as contest entries. Official entries must be made on this blogpost…but, we’d love to connect with you nonetheless.]

Next Steps:

• Check out our draft sales page now, take some time, and share your proposed title below in the comments area on or before April 20th 11:59 pm Pacific time. While you’re there, sign up for our Early Bird release special!

Can’t wait to read your replies!

Ponn Sabra is a best-selling author and homeschool mom of three tween and teen daughters, also bestselling authors and probloggers [http://PonnSabra.com]. The Managing Partner of Blogger Babes, Ponn is never short on ideas for her next blog post, she’s just short on time. Do you share the same problem?

Comments

These are great ideas. I always wondered about length, and now I’m thinking many of my posts might be a little longer than what people want to read – this is going to be helpful this week as I write posts! Thank you for the tips!

Hi Taylor.

The key is to get your groove going. If you and your audience are happy with your length, then stick to it. But, if you think you can split them up and make more blog posts to maximize your time, then give it a try too. Always be in a “trial and error” phase of your blogging, until you’re comfortable with your voice and traffic…and, ultimately your income. 😉

Take care,
      Ponn

Hey Taylor! I know exactly what you mean! I tend to be rather ‘chatty’ so limiting myself to shorter posts is really hard for me. I’m trying to sprinkle in some shorter posts here and there to mix it up and give myself a bit of a break, but once I start writing, I just keep writing, lol. So, these tips were very helpful to me as well!!

Dearest Vicky.

Thanks again for being a host in this blog tour! Your support is appreciated, and it’s reflexive of your growth! Keep blogging my dear!

Hugz,
    Ponn

You are SO welcome, Ponn! I was thrilled to be able to participate and so happy to be able to spread the word about Blogger Babes. I can’t wait until the new monthly guides come out…I will be an early subscriber! Thanks so much for your support and blogging advice!!

Hi Sam!

I use a timer for everything–writing blog posts, finding images (shared in later blog tour article), reading, researching, everything–it’s a productivity lifesaver tool!

Give it a try, and please report back how you make out!

Hi Sam! I only recently started using the timer trick and it totally works. Something about knowing the clock is literally ticking really helps you focus. I usually turn my phone on airplane mode, expand my screen so the only thing I can see is the page I’m typing on (no other tabs, so social media, no email. etc.), then start my timer. Definitely give it a try :)!

#4!! Relatable, down to earth content. That’s always been my writing style and do you have any idea how many times I’ve been criticized for it? I’m often told that it’s not professional. And I’m like, yep… that’s why I’m not publishing a textbook. I love being able to share with my readers exactly how I feel about things, like you said- almost like we’re having a cup of coffee. Because, we’re friends and that’s how it should be!! Also love the idea of using a timer. I’m a super procrastinator, so I’ll have to check that out!! Thanks for the great post!

xoxoxoxo, Kayla

Ok…that’s CRAZY that you’ve been criticized (numerous times, at that!) for using your own voice on your blog…that’s what a blog is all about! We’re not writing term papers or user manuals here, we’re having virtual chats with virtual friends (and in some cases, true-life friends!) each and every time we post. I hate reading blogs where there’s no personality – I don’t usually come back to them. I LOVE blogs where after 1 post, I feel like I know the person and feel a connection! Good for you for sticking to your guns and your voice and I say keep doing what you’re doing! You’re blog looks awesome to me! :)

Hi Kayla.

That is INSANE! Totally agree with Vicky “good for you for sticking with your guns!”

When I came on a decade ago as an author and columnist, writing AP style or professional articles was (still is) a TON of work, research-heavy and just emotionally draining…so my columns (particular on Entrepreneur magazine’s women’s site) did so well because they got to see the “real informal, fun, relaxed Ponn” behind the serious Ponn. It was a balance I ached for and so did both audiences which ultimately blended into one.

Then, lifestyle changed when I have heavily into homeschooling and being a mom blogger so I left the hard-core journalistic, freelance writing and went into mom blogging and had a highly successful 6 years doing that. As I aged and life circumstances changed, I’m truly enjoying how and where I blog or contribute now as I blend, not just 2 different sides of my life, but multiple across all platforms. Definitely on Blogger Babes our tutorial posts are more professional than my personal posts, but ALL my writing regardless where I am are “relatable and person-able”.

One can be personable, without getting personal. Enjoy blogging–it’s truly a different lifestyle!

It’s definitely important to be relatable and authentic. That’s what will keep people coming back :) Thanks for being a blog tour host!

Thanks Marya! I agree…if you aren’t authentic it’ll come through and people will sniff it out in an instant! Thanks so much for stopping by!!

I absolutely love this! I write posts 5 days a week and any tips of being more efficient helps! I currently mix lengths as well but it’s interesting to note that when I’m writing about a topic that I’m very passionate about/know really well the posts are much longer but are super fast to write.
    xo
    styleontheside.com

A tip for even those fast long posts Caroline is to distribute the content–spread it over 2 or 3-blog post series. Utilized your blog calendar efficiently and the series give a reason for your readers to come back for the rest of the story. :-)

I’m the same way, Caroline! Even though my posts tend to be long, the writing part isn’t always the lengthy part of the process, lol. BUT, I have recently learned that Google loves long posts and they rank it higher, so we’re doing good ;). But, I agree, any tips to streamline things is always nice! I have also done what Ponn suggests…break super long posts into a 2+ part series! Thanks for stopping by!