Birchbox Sample Box {April 2015}

It’s that time of the month where we rip the lid right off of my latest Birchbox! Woohoo! When my subscription boxes start rolling in during the middle of the month, I can’t open them fast enough to see what goodies are inside.  This month was a pretty good month…so want to take a peek with me?

This month, Birchbox teamed up with Rifle Paper Company to host their box for the month!  So, what arrived is probably the prettiest box I’ve gotten from Birchbox (usually I toss these, but I’m planning on keeping this one!).

I can’t remember if I selected the premium box or not…I want to say I did, but if that’s the case, I was a bit surprised since the items I received don’t really look like what I would’ve picked, so maybe I forgot to do that this month!

I wasn’t too excited about this month after opening the box, but I didn’t hesitate to start sampling things to see if they might surprise me. (Spoiler alert…a few did!)

#1: Hydro Moisturizing Shampoo by Hydro Professional

This brand is new to me, so I didn’t know what to expect.  I have to say, after washing my hair with this and using the conditioner, my hair looked really good! I can’t say it was necessarily better than what I currently use, but I liked it enough that I’m going to keep this on my radar as a possible alternate shampoo to use along with my current fave.

It has a very pleasant, light, floral scent and my hair was nice and light after I dried it! It was shiny and hydrated, so I think it nicely accomplished the ‘Moisturizing’ part!

#2: Hydro Nutritive Repairing Conditioner by Hydro Professional

As with the shampoo, this conditioner worked very well and I really liked it!  My hair was conditioned but not weighed down.  It didn’t have an overpowering scent, so it paired nicely with the more scented shampoo.

Just like with the shampoo, this conditioner is going on my radar as an alternative to my current shampoo/conditioner.  Sometimes I feel switching it up a bit helps keep my hair from getting a particular product buildup (which may be a complete myth, but it seems to be the case!).

#3: Tint by Jouer

I typically LOVE Jouer products! My all time favorite foundation is by Jouer, so I was initially excited to see this in my box.

Unfortunately, I didn’t really love this particular product.  It’s supposed to be a 2-in-1 pigment for lips and cheeks.  Sounds awesome! I think the product itself is nice…it’s the color that was a tad off for me.

Had the color been more appropriate with my coloring, I probably would’ve loved this one!

#4: Mineral Beauty Balm SPF 50 by MDSolarSciences

While I don’t have bad skin, I do like to use a foundation or tinted cream that borders on a light to medium coverage.  I don’t want a heavy mask, but if it’s too transparent, I feel like I don’t have anything on, which is my usual experience with Beauty Balms.

This one was no exception…it was a tad too sheer for me to use on it’s own.  With that said, I actually love this product!  I betcha didn’t expect that, did you? hehehe

What I love about this is the SPF of 50 even though it doesn’t feel or smell like a sunscreen.  The formula is sheer, like I mentioned, but it has a mattifying affect which for me, makes this a perfect primer!

I layered this under my typical foundation and wore like a dream all day and my face was better predicted from the sun than it otherwise would’ve been.  I will likely order this one!

#5: Eyebright Soothing Eye Lotion by Liz Earle

This product is interesting…I’m not really sure what to use this for.  The card included in the box says it’s a cooling treatment that refreshes and depuffs tired eyes.

Eh…I tried it after a night of little sleep due to some insomnia and an early wake up call, yet saw and felt no difference.  However, I don’t tend to get puffy eyes, so maybe it would work better on someone that is affected by that little issue.  I’ll keep trying it here and there, but can’t say I was impressed with this one.

3dotsOne thing Birchbox does that I love is to offer other items that complements the theme each month.  You can opt to add these to your box (for an additional fee) and it’s exclusive to subscribers.  Most of the time, I never add these products, but I do have a weakness for bags and since I love the floral patterns of Rifle Paper Co., I couldn’t resist the tote bag!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this tote bag!  It’s made of a very thick and sturdy canvas with long straps so it’s easy to get stuff in and out of it.  I will be using this a lot this summer and I’ll be tossing this in my suitcase on future travels in case I need extra options for carrying stuff home after a trip.

I almost didn’t get this, but now that I have it and see the quality and how pretty it is, I am SO glad I went for it!

So…before we go, let’s take score of how this month did.  I’m definitely ordering 1 product and I’m strongly considering ordering 2 more.  The other 2 products didn’t impress me, so we’re left at 3 out of 5 winners!  Not the best month, but definitely not a bust (especially since I really love the beauty balm!).

If you want to check out reviews of past boxes, be sure to check out my Monthly Subscription Boxes page!  It has all the details for all of the boxes I currently receive!

And if you like the idea of these boxes and want to give it a try, you can sign up here -> Birchbox

What do you think? Do you currently use any of these products? If you get Birchbox, did you get the same box, or something completely different? Leave me a comment and let me know!!

Comments

Never heard of Beaver products before…. but good to know in case I see some in the future! And I also have a weakness for tote bags. I need to stop. But… I can.not.stop. With cute prints or nautical themed or bright colors I just seem to add them to my massive collection! :) http://www.GlamKaren.com

I used the shampoo/conditioner again this morning and so far, still working well!! I am SO with you on the tote bags…I have so many (too many), but I just can’t turn down a cute, servicable tote! I do use multiple different ones…some serve different functions, so I’m not totally crazy (but I know you get me on this one, lol)!

Thank you for sharing this post! I currently review glossybox and my little box so it is great to see what goodies are in other subscription boxes and what people think! Birchbox seems to offer some great products and I definitely love the box design you received this month! :)

I agree, Lois…I love to see what other subscription boxes (that I don’t subscribe) provide, so I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed taking a peek in this one :). Birchbox is indeed awesome…it’s my fave! I have heard of Glossybox, but thought it was just a UK box, but I just googled it and I see it’s in the US too! Hmmm…not sure if I’m glad to know that now or not…lol….must.resist.must.resist! Thanks for stopping by!

Yeah…they did a good job! Even when I initially think it might not be a great box, I dive in and when I come up for air I realize that yet again, they’ve proven me wrong, lol.

That box is so pretty!! I’ve been hesitant to join any of the monthly beauty programs but it seems like you can get some really nice products :)

Yes! That’s what I love about it, Erica…I have discovered so many AMAZING products that I either would’ve never heard of, or wouldn’t have tried since I was unfamiliar with them. Plus…it’s just fun…who doesn’t love playing with new makeup products, lol.

That tote bag is so cute! I have a minor obsession with tote bags haha. I’ve never tried Birchbox. I’m always a little nervous because I’m pretty set in my ways when it comes to make-up and body products. I guess I should try to break out of my comfort zone a little.

I am right there with you on the tote bag obsession! I have WAY too many!! It’s insane, but they do each have their own purpose/function, at least that’s what I like to tell myself to justify my addiction, lol. It might be fun to try it for 3 months to see what you think. I usually like to give these types of things 3 tries to see if it’s worth it!

Exactly! It sounded really cool…but so far, no dice :(. That’s okay…you win some, you lose some….now I know to not waste any money on buying that product, so there’s that upside, lol. :)

Too bad you didn’t love the Jouer blush. I’ve so many great things about that brand but I’ve never tried anything before. I saw the Rifle Paper Co. box on another blog and I just loved it. That tote is so awesome! So perfect for spring.

Typically, I LOVE Jouer! And the product itself was awesome, so yeah, bummed the color didn’t quite work out. They have a new quarterly subscription box where you get full size products customized to your skin tone/coloring. I’m SO tempted, but I’m trying to resist all new subscription boxes unless I give up another which I’m not quite ready to do….lol.

Ipsy is one I haven’t caved to yet…lol. Trying to resist any new subscription boxes unless I cancel another, which I’m not quite ready to do. Too many good box options out there!!!

I was getting Birchbox for a while there but stopped because I was overly satisfied each time. I am trying out Stichfix this month so that should be exciting!

If you weren’t satisfied, that’s definitely a valid reason for cancelling & I don’t blame you! I give any subscription box I try 3 months to see if I like it and if I’ve been disappointed more than happy, I cancel it. That was my experience with Stitch Fix, but then again, I have a hard enough time trying to find things that fit me well in the stores, so I don’t blame them!! They did send some cute stuff though! Good luck with it! :)