8 Girlfriend Getaway Ideas You’ll Want to Make Happen!

Itching to get away with your best gal pals but not sure where to go or what to do?  Then, settle in, friends, because today I’m sharing a list of 8 girlfriend getaway ideas that you’ll want to make happen this year!

On Monday, I convinced you to start planning a girlfriend getaway right away (I did, didn’t I?!).  Now that you’re itching to get something booked, you might be wondering where to go!  Or, maybe, how you can swing it without breaking the bank.

Have no fear because today, I’m going to go through some of the favorite options for girlfriend getaways!  Then, on Friday, I’ll let you in on a few secrets for how to save a little cash (to meet your budget or to have more on hand for shopping!) and some tips for making sure you have an AMAZING time {read it HERE}.

So, let’s get right to it, shall we?!

Places to Go for Girlfriend Getaway!

If you’re not sure where to go, then let me toss out a few ideas for you! Based on you and your friends’ interests, budget, time available, etc., where you go on any given trip may vary (but that’s the fun part!).

number-one The Spa  – Ahhh…one of my favorite getaway trips! Do you really just need a few days to relax and unwind?  Then a spa trip may be just the ticket. There are TONS of places to go and not all are crazy expensive.

This is typically the type of trip my one of my best friends and I take, but even when we don’t do a dedicated spa trip, we squeeze in a massage or facial wherever we go (it’s kind of our thing!).

Two of my favorite spa trips has been the Hershey Spa in Hershey, PA (hello…they do chocolate facials and body scrubs!) and Lakeview at Fontana in Bryson City, NC.

The grounds at Lakeview at Fontana when I visited a few years ago…

number-two The Beach  – Personally, I’m not a beach person….like, at all!  I’d rather watch paint dry than sit out on a beach, so while I’d never plan a beach trip for myself, I know these are quite popular with folks since most people actually do like the beach.

The nice thing about a beach trip is that you can spend a lot and fly to a tropical location for an all out treat, or pack up the car and road trip it to a beach that isn’t too far away (unless you live in a landlocked state…sorry Kansas/Nebraska/etc.!).  Either works just as well and relaxation and good times will follow with both options!

Even though I’m not a beach person, my main travel buddy and I did road trip it through New Jersey a couple of years ago to Cape May, NJ.  While we didn’t spend any time on the beach (it was still too cool), it was nice to hear the waves and smell the salt in the air (and squeeze in some spa time!).

Cape May! It was a little too chilly to beach it, but it was still beautiful!

number-three Shop ’til you Drop  – Are you and your best buds shoppers?  There are trips for that too!  Save your pennies and head to New York, Chicago, or go big and hop across the pond to Paris, Milan, or one of the other fashion forward cities.  These types of trips are also great for sightseeing and going out on the town, dressed to the nines, since they’re typically in urban areas.

As for me, I love to shop when I travel (just not the entire trip!) and fortunately, my friends do as well, so we always plan a little time to hit the shops when we’re doing our thang.

You can never go wrong with browsing some shops (this was in Cape May, NJ)…

number-four Party the Night Away  – If you really want to let off some steam and you and your gal pals are nightclubbing, party-til-you-drop kind of girls, then picking a spot with a hot nightlife would make an ideal trip.  Think Miami, New York, New Orleans, etc.

This is another trip type that isn’t really me…I’m not a party girl.  The introvert in me shudders at the idea of donning some party duds and dancing the night away amongst throngs of people!  Not that I haven’t done a few ‘party’ trips – bachelorette weekend in Vegas (not mine, but for a friend), check!  New Orleans (several times), check!

Ok..so, this was the morning after, but Bourbon Street can be quite the fun scene when the sun goes down!

number-five Get in Shape  – Love yoga?  How about hiking?  If there’s a particular fitness activity that you and your friends enjoy, then I guarantee there is a trip out there to satisfy your passion!

Yoga retreats are, by far, the most popular.  I’ve been to a yoga retreat with girlfriends in Costa Rica, Kripalu in western Massachusetts, and Wanderlust in Stratton, Vermont.  I’m not even a yogi and I enjoyed every minute of those trips!  Peaceful, relaxing, and I got in tons of physical activity!

If yoga isn’t your thing, you could go on a hiking trip, camping, sky diving, etc.

This was on the grounds at Pure Vida Spa & Yoga Retreat in Costa Rica…it was HEAVEN!!

number-six Learn Something New  – Everyone loves to learn something new and while this may not be your typical getaway trip, it’s one that could be both rewarding and a ton of fun!

One that I’ve seen and would love to try is a cooking retreat.  While on your trip, you participate in various cooking classes. So, not only do you learn something new, you experience something completely different, and have fun with your friend(s) doing something you might not have ever thought you would do!

I would LOVE to try a cooking retreat as a girlfriend getway! (Image Source: pixabay.com)

number-seven Road trip  – Are you and your friends the adventurous sort?  Plan a road trip!  This is a great way to spend time together, see lots of cool things, and keep the budget in check.

I’ve road tripped from St Louis to Portland, Oregon, from San Francisco to Portland, Oregon, from Atlanta to New York, Atlanta to New Orleans, and all along the coast of Maine.  One trip I’m dying to do is the Pacific Coast Highway from San Diego to San Francisco.  Someday..that’s definitely happening!

The beauty of this type of trip is that it doesn’t have to cost a lot of money! Hop in your car and hit the road…you can even take snacks and food with you to keep the food budget down!  The best part is getting off the beaten path to do some exploring.  Spending hours in the car with your friend(s) is a great way to have fun singing along with your fave playlist and sharing stories, laughs, and memories.

Hit the road for your girlfriend getaway! (Image Source: pixabay.com)

number-eight Experience Culture  – Want something a little more mentally stimulating? Then, take in a city with a lot of history or culture!  If your budget allows, heading off to Europe is a great way to explore and immerse yourself in centuries old culture.  A girlfriend and I did a week in Paris some years ago and its remained one of my favorite trips!

But, you don’t have to cross the pond to experience culture.  We have plenty right here in the US!  Think Washington, DC, Philadelphia, Boston, etc.

Europe just oozes culture, so if culture is what you want, hop a plane and soak it in!

The beauty of all of these types of trips is that you really don’t have to limit yourself to one type.  Several of these can easily be combined into the same trip for even more fun.  You could do a Beach – Spa – Fitness trip, or a Party City – Spa – Shopping trip…basically the options are unlimited and you can be as creative as you want!

Need some more inspiration?  Check out these articles for some of the best girlfriend getaways!

America’s Best Girlfriend Getaways

Budget Travel’s – Girlfriend Getaways to Book Now!

So tell me, where would YOU want to go to get away with your girlfriends?  Leave me a comment and let’s chat it out!

Comments

I have been wanting to do a girls surf + yoga trip to Costa Rica for YEARS! Maybe in a few years when we are all done having babies and buying houses!!

That definitely puts a hold in the plans, doesn’t it? :) My best travel buddy has 2 kids and the years that we’ve missed doing a trip together was usually when she was pregnant and like the year right after. You guys will get there and then you’ll REALLY enjoy it! :)

Whatwhat. One of my rotations later on this year is in Lebanon, PA, which I’m told is really close to Hershey! :]!! I may have to *coughcough* check this place out…

I adore beaches, so I’d be all over #2! Not so much of a shopper (unless it’s for food…) or clubbing, but I’ve been wanting to do a road trip with friends for ages! Getting in shape + learning something new would be added bonuses to that! <3

Oooh…definitely check out the Hershey spa, Farrah! If you can go midweek, it’ll be cheaper. If nothing else, just go stroll around the Hershey hotel because it’s beautiful (and huge!). Kinda/sorta across from the hotel are some awesome outlets, even though you’re not much of a shopper, if you want to score some deals, that’s always fun :). And they have the Hershey amusement park (I didn’t go to that, though) if you like that sort of thing, so you could easily make a couple of days out of it! :)

ME TOO, Erica!! With one of my friends, we know that we are not ones to say ‘no, you shouldn’t buy that’, so seriously, we only go shopping together like once a year because we totally enable each other. AND, she’s my main travel buddy, so it can get crazy (thankfully, knowing we have to stuff it in our suitcases and haul it on a plane keeps us in check, but I won’t deny it….we’ve shipped stuff home before, smh). Definitely rally the troops!! As bride-to-be you are DUE a spa girl getaway…call in the favor pronto! :)

A shopping trip or a Yoga trip sounds amazing to me. I have three boys, so the peace and quiet alone makes me want to pack my bags right now!

Oh wow! Sounds like you have definitely earned a getaway with your friends for some fun, peace, and quiet :). I hope you can work something out and make that happen!!

Tammy says

The Beach!!! That is absolutely me. I’m hoping for some girlfriend time on the beach on my next trip to Florida. Thanks for inspiring me to start planning!

You should definitely try to get your girlfriends to go in for at least a short weekend! I hope you’re able to work something out, Michelle! :)

Linda says

This is so timely! I was just talking to a girlfriend today about getting together and having a whole day together! And I was thinking about what we should do, spa definitely came up! Super ideas! Thanks!

These are all such great ideas! I would love to explore New Orleans with my friends. I keep wanting to go and have my palm read or see a psychic. It’s a little silly to me, but I think it would be something fun to do with a group of ladies (and then go out for drinks and laugh about our ‘fortunes’). I would love to do something adventurous too. My best friend is the only person I know who’s willing to go on roller coasters, etc. with me so I know she’d be down for something crazy like bungee jumping or white water rafting.

I agree that a psychic or palm reader in New Orleans would be fun with a group of girlfriends!! I’m totally not the adventurous type, lol. I liked roller coasters as a kid, but not so much now that I’m an adult. I also have a healthy fear of heights so ziplining, skydiving, rockclimbing…never.gonna.happen! lol I hope you get something planned with your girls soon!!

I love the idea of a getaway where my friends and I learn to do something new together! Since we all love wine and food, a cooking retreat would be AMAZING!!!

I know, right?! I so want to do a cooking one…which is bit crazy, because I don’t really like cooking, lol. I love to bake, but I just want something fast & easy for the meal part. Maybe it’s the idea of being away in someone else’s kitchen that is showing me the right way to do it that appeals to me :). If you go on one at some point, you’ll have to come back here and tell me how it was!! :)

Danielle Did What says

I am so in need of a getaway i would take anything on offer right now lol…some great picks!!

Thanks Danielle! Writing this up has made me want to get something else booked, but sadly my best travel buddy just got married, so we likely won’t get to do a trip this year :(…definitely next year though, at least I hope!! I hope you can talk some of your girlfriends into joining you on a much-needed getaway!

I hope you can convince your best girls to join you!! That would be an amazing trip for you guys!! Good luck and thanks so much for stopping by!

Yay! I hope this helps you come up with a few ideas :)…have a great time on your trip and thanks so much for stopping by!

Ooh…a sister trip…that would be awesome!! I don’t have sisters, so I’ve always envied those that do and this is one of those reasons (then people usually tell me about the clothes stealing, boyfriend issues, and all the other fun things that come with sisters back in the teen years, lol). You guys should definitely plan something! :)

judy says

Girlfriend love this post. My favorites are road trips! It’s interesting now with Maria but they are so much fun. I just have to say that i spit my coffee with your beach comment… “I’d rather watch paint dry than sit out on a beach…”
    Too funny. I love the beach! I never get in the water but i find it so relaxing. Back in the day i use to go the beach every Friday morning and stay for hours. I miss it…..nowadays is not the same as i have to go in the water with Maria and play. I don’t even sit…. LOL Great post, made some notes.

Road trips!?! But you don’t like driving!!! LOL Yes, Maria’s curiosity and the ability to see things through her eyes is a great way to experience things! The beach is definitely relaxing….I’ll give you that…and pretty! I just have too many places to go and see to just sit around hanging out, lol. I gots to go!! :)

Love this post! Getting away with my girlfriends (especially my best friends) is one of my favourite things to do.

My bestie and I have globe trotted together, but we’ve always loved Beach Trips and Cottage Weekends. Just unwinding together with a cocktail in the sunshine is the best way to relax.

great post!

Ooh…a Cottage Weekend…I LOVE that idea! I might have to try that with one of my friends. That’s so awesome that you’ve globe trotted with your friends…I bet you guys have some amazing memories and you’ll be sharing stories with each other for the rest of time! That’s so wonderful :). Thanks for stopping by and enjoy your next trip!

LOL…I have very fair skin so even with sunscreen I burn, so that’s never fun (plus I get headaches from the heat and bright sun). I also have a love of exploring, so I get restless just sitting around. If it weren’t for the burning, I could *possibly* do the beach for maybe a short weekend, but when it comes to a week or more of vacation time, I want to get out and see/explore! lol But, I totally realize I’m in the extreme minority, lol!

What a great post! I love girlfriend getaways and actually have one in a few weeks to look forward to. We go to the beach but really we could be anywhere as its the talks and laughter (and maybe the drinking) that I always remember from our trips. Love all the ideas you list above though, thanks for sharing.

Exactly! That’s what is really so cool about girlfriend getaways…you can go anywhere and still have a blast because it’s the time together and the laughs that make the trip so amazing! Have an AMAZING time on your upcoming trip!! Thanks for stopping by!

Love this article! I love taking girlfriend getaways with friends and families. Will share article with them. Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks Barbara!! There’s just something so relaxing and rejuvenating about getting away with your girls, so I’m so happy to hear you indulge in those every now and then! Thanks so much for sharing this with your friends…I hope it inspires you lovely ladies to plan something for the summer :).