Why you NEED to Make Time for Your Girlfriends

Alright ladies, fess up…who is in need of a girls’ night out?  You, you, and….You!  Okay, so all of us!  If it’s been awhile since you went out with your friends (even if just for coffee!), I encourage you to make plans TODAY! It’s so important and today, I’m going to tell you exactly why you need to make time for your girlfriends!

Close your eyes for a minute and think of your best gal pals, okay?  When was the last time you saw them or even talked to them (and a quick text message or Facebook message doesn’t count!)?

The answer to that question will likely depend on where you are in your life.

Still in college? You probably saw your girls within the past week (if not the past day!).  Out of college, in your 20s unmarried and no kiddos? Let’s see…last weekend or the previous weekend?  And for you ladies that are married and especially if you have kids…how long has it been?  Too long, I bet.

This is a common issue for women…as we get older and take on more responsibilities our friendships, while still there, get relegated to the back burner.  Jobs, houses, husbands, and especially kids eat up all our time.

Well, I’m here to tell you that living like that is not the way to go.

You NEED to make time for your girlfriends and here’s why…

Image Source: Pixabay.com

I’m a huge proponent of taking time for ourselves.  We HAVE to and it’s NOT selfish!  It’s taking care of yourself.  As women, we tend to be caretakers, only we tend to take care of everyone else but ourselves.

Think about this for a second…you will better be able to take care of your family if you make the time to take care of yourself! For realz, people!

There are MANY ways of taking care of yourself…a afternoon alone with a favorite book, an evening at the mall shopping for a fun new outfit or killer accessory, or even a manicure/pedicure after work on your way home.  But, one of the best ways to take care of yourself is to spend time with your girlfriends!

How do you benefit from making time to spend with your girlfriends?

Image Source: Pixabay.com

1.  Laughter  – Nothing will make you feel better than an evening filled with laughing with your besties!  They just get you in ways that no one else does!  Laughing will reduce your stress and improve your mood, so if for no other reason, this one is one of the best reasons to make time for your friends.
  1.  Venting  – Need to get some things off your chest? Your friends are there to lend an ear and give some advice! Just don’t let the entire evening turn into one long vent-fest or you’ll leave in a worse mood than when you arrived.
  1.  Sharing Memories  – Got a long history together?  Sharing memories will inevitably come up and what better way to bring a smile to your face than through a good (or funny!) memory.  Relish them!  And remember…the more you hang out with each other, the more memories you are building!
  1.  Relaxing  – After you meet up with your friends, you’ll likely start to relax without even realizing it.  You’re there to have fun and that’s it, so the stresses of life will temporarily melt away.
  1.  Feel Appreciated & Understood  – Your friends get  you, love you, and appreciate you and they aren’t afraid to show it!  You’ll feel like Superwoman after an evening with your girls!
  1.  Being there FOR your Friends  – Lest we forget that it’s not all about us…hanging with our girls gives us a chance to be there for our friends.  Listen to them, give them advice, support them, and be their biggest cheerleader!  She’s doing it for you, so return the love!

All of this will allow you to feel less stressed, more relaxed and open you up to other things going on outside of your world.

Now, I’m not suggesting you ditch your family for your friends every Friday night!  I get it, you’re not the single girl-on-the-town anymore!  But…if you answered my question about when was the last time you saw your friends and you either couldn’t remember or it was so long it made you feel sad, it’s time to put in the effort to change that!

Start out by aiming for once a month!!  And that may be all you can squeeze into your schedule, but I’m betting once you start making the effort you’ll find other little ways to get in that all important time without taking away from other aspects of your life.  It’ll do wonders for you and give you something to look forward to!

Image Source: Pixabay.com

As for me, most of my friends are wives and moms, so I GET it (I was a wife once, too), so I don’t see them as often as I’d like.  But, one of my very dear friends, who became a mom about 2 years ago, doesn’t let that stop her from still having her independence.  We typically meet for dinner once a month if not twice.  We email regularly and vent about life when necessary through that, but when we get together, we just laugh and have fun! Another good friend who is the mother of two (and recently married) is always up for a girl’s getaway weekend, so we make time to do that about once a year, in addition to meeting up for dinner or a little shopping.

The point is, there’s always time, it’s just realizing that taking that time for yourself will make you better in the long run!

And…If you have any friends that are reluctant to take the time for themselves…just forward this to them as a way to send a little encouragement ;).

Taking time for yourself is NOT selfish!  It’s important for your health and well being (and it sends a great message to your family that you are a person too!)

So, what’s your story, friends? Do you get to hang with your gal pals regularly or does this fall into the category of ‘needs to improve’? Tell me all about it!

This post is linked up to A Fresh Start’s Motivation Monday Linkup!

Comments

Oh so true. Just last week I was chatting with a friend at church. I said something making fun of myself, she laughed and threw her arms around me in a hug. It was an interaction we had often in college…but it’s not common anymore. It felt so nice to laugh and feel so young and free from a quick conversation. So important to us mamas. :)

Oh, that’s such a sweet story (in how it made you feel…she was right there for you!). It’s hard, but once we make the time, that positivity spills over into other areas of our lives and others benefit from it as well! I hope you get the chance to spend some more time with your friends! :)

Totally true! I’ve slacked on this recently and when I finally got around to having a girls night it felt like a weight had lifted off my shoulders! It’s so important to keep your relationships up between friends! I need to get better at talking to people casually more often!

It’s tough, Jess, but what you experienced is so true! You don’t think about it, but when you see your friends again, it’s like ‘wow! I can’t believe I let it slip for so long and how awesome is this!’. In addition to our own lives, there’s also our friend’s that have challenging things going on too…sigh! But, we can do it! We can make it happen :).

I really NEED me some girl time! I feel like I’m losing my friends and I really need to find friends like that again, but it’s so hard to make new friends especially in a small town! Hopefully, I can find friends like this soon because they definitely make everything better!

One thing I’ve found is that some friends are meant to come and go, where as others are in it for the long haul no matter how much time passes between seeing each other. Those are the ones that are worth moving mountains for, but yeah, life can definitely make it challenging to make it happen!

I totally need to be doing this more. I haven’t really spent any time with girl friends in a long time and it is my fault for not putting forth the effort. Since my life is about to change, I am going to have to figure out a way to make sure I do this at least once a month.

It’s definitely a challenge, Niki! You know your friends are there for you and when it gets or life takes over, it’s really easy to put it to the back burner, so hopefully this inspired you to get something on the books so you can spend some time with your friends :)!

This is proving to be very hard once you are in your 30’s. I have a handful of close friends that I do try and make time for at least once a month but text almost every day which is nice!

Seriously, Lindsay! Don’t get me wrong, texts & FB messages are god-sends and thank goodness we have those as means of staying connecting :). Good for you for trying to get that once a month girls night in!! It’s tough, but hopefully you guys can keep it up :)!

Sheryl says

Definitely! I always go out with the girls once a month. It is a standing appointment and we always enjoy ourselves.

Yes! I LOVE hearing that Sheryl!! That is totally the way to do, so I hope other ladies take your lead and follow suit! :) Enjoy your next girl’s night out!!

I love this! :] definitely agreed–my closest friends in med school are mostly all guys, but I miss my friends back at home so much–we’re long, longgggg overdue for a girls’ night! <3

Go for it, Farrah!! I love having guy friends, too…there’s no drama and they tell it like it is, lol, but there’s definitely something about your best girls that can brighten your world. I hope you get to hang out with them soon!

My best friend and I were just talking about putting together a girl’s weekend soon. We get together for lunch and movies a lot, but there’s something about a girl’s getaway that’s so much fun. No boys, no kids, no animals or chores that need attention. It’s the best!

Yes! Girl’s weekends are the best! I’m actually working on a 3 part series for next week just on girlfriend getaways (it’ll be M, W, and F of next week, hint, hint :)).

I love this post, Vicky! I always feel like I’m in need of a girls day. It’s just so fun to get out with your girlfriends and talk about life. You’re right though, as you get older, it gets harder to make time, and that makes me so sad! I really need to start making it a priority.

Thanks Tiffany! It’s definitely challenging especially if your friends are more resistant to working it into their schedules, but so rewarding :).

Loved this! I know especially when you’re in a relationship it can be so tempting to throw girlfriend time by the wayside – and I’ve had friends who have done that. But ultimately time with friends is refreshing and renewing and sooo important for all of the reasons you’ve mentioned! Awesome post!

Yes! I’ve been there, Taylor…you want to spend time with your guy and you don’t want him to feel neglected. I’ve made that mistake in the past of drifting away from my friends a tad or turning down friend requests but it just set a bad stage and down the road when I wanted to take them up on it, guy-in-question didn’t understand why I was ‘pulling away’! So…lesson learned…build a foundation in the early days of dating of taking that time for yourself to ‘teach’ them that this is who you are!! :) Glad you enjoyed it!

I love it – and it’s so true – we as busy women need time alone and NEED time with our girlfriends! I don’t know what I would do without my special friends and time with them!

Yep! We definitely need to remember that special bond and make time for it, because you’re right…what would we do without our special friends?! :)

Oh no!! But, thank goodness for Skype!! Fortunately, it’s only for the summer and in no time, you’ll be back to hanging out regularly :). Good luck with your summer job!!

I just moved away from the city I have always lived in and my girlfriends are not close to me anymore. I know that if i want to keep those friendships, I will have to step up and organize girls weekends and things like that!

I know exactly what you mean, Emilie! I moved about 1000 miles away from where I grew up after college, but I’m still friends with my best friends from home and see them everytime I go back home. One of those girls is one of my travel buddies! I’m so glad that not only I make the effort to keep our friendships alive, but they do too! :) Good luck on your new journey!!

Trackbacks