7 Quick Ways to Brainstorm for Blog Post Topics

Do you struggle to come up with good blog post ideas, or do you have a tendency to wait until the last minute?  If so, I completely understand because I’ve been there! But, there’s a better way and today, I’m sharing 7 quick ways to brainstorm for blog post topics so you can up your game and be a better blogger!

Two weeks ago, I shared with you why you need a mission statement for your blog and how to go about writing a good one. Now that you’ve worked on your mission statement, I wanted to dive into another topic that will help you be a better blogger!

Brainstorming for post ideas!

We’ve all been there…the clock is ticking and you are ‘supposed’ to have a blog post for tomorrow but your brain is just not coming up with anything!

It’s frustrating and usually, one of two things happen – you bail on it and come up with nothing OR you force out an idea and while you have a post, it’s probably not one of your best.

Now, imagine not having to worry about what to post and being able to turn to a cache of awesome ideas where you could just pick a topic and write away!

By spending some time effectively brainstorming, you can have that treasure trove of topics at your fingertips!

And…It’s easier than you think!

For a long time after starting my blog, I never brainstormed on topics, I totally went with what came to mind a night or two before I published a post.  This worked out okay until I started running out of ideas!

The reason this doesn’t work for most people (obviously there are some folks out there that thrive on last minute pressure!) is because we can come up with better ideas when not down to the wire.

Setting time aside specifically for brainstorming will allow you to really focus on the task which will help your mind to really go exploring!  Once you start brainstorming, ideas will generally start flowing.  Usually your best ideas aren’t your first ideas, so it’s best to get the bad ideas out first so you can get to the really good stuff!

While I always keep a notebook with me to jot down the random ideas that come to me while I’m out and about, I generally set aside about 2 hours on a weekend every other month.  In those 2 hours, I can come up with enough topics for 2+ months!  When I’m do my brainstorming session, I’m actually not out of ideas from the last time, I’m just injecting even more ideas into my stash!!

Today, I’m going to share a few of my favorite ways to brainstorm to come up with good ideas to keep you rolling!

7 quick ways to brainstorm for Blog Post Topics

number-one Look Back at your Most Popular Posts  – one of the best ways to come up with good content is to look back at what your readers have been reading the most.  If you’re a lifestyle blogger and your most popular posts are about your tips and tricks for gardening, then explore ideas related to this and you’ll likely have some more winners!  Google analytics is a great way to quickly identify your most popular posts.

number-two Figure out your Most Popular Categories  – Similar to using your most popular posts as a guide for future posts, figuring out which categories are your most popular will open up several avenues for ideas. Once you know your top 3 categories, start focusing on those to come up with some more great ideas.

number-three Scroll through Pinterest  – Pinterest can help you in so many ways!  Just browse in general to see what speaks to you…jot down ideas, thoughts, etc.  Or, once you know your most popular posts and categories, search on those to narrow down your focus.

number-four Let a Favorite Quote Inspire You  – This may not work for everyone, but I love quotes and get so much inspiration from them!  Sometimes, I go to my quotes board on Pinterest and read through them to see which one speaks to me.  Sometimes this sparks an idea for a post!  You can either share the quote that inspired your or let it lead you down a whole new path!

number-five Share any Problems You’ve Recently Solved  – People love to learn solutions to their problems, so if you’ve solved any problems lately, it’s a pretty good bet that this may be helpful to others, so if you feel comfortable with sharing, tell it to the world!  You may be surprised at how popular these types of posts can be!

number-six Read Other Blogs in Your Industry/Niche  – The goal here is NOT to copy, but be inspired!  Get a general feel for what others are writing about, let it inspire you, then write your own take on the topic.

number-seven Do a Reader Survey  – Since I just did my first reader survey a few weeks ago, this is now my favorite way to be inspired on what to write about!  If you really want to write about topics you know your readers will love, then you can take the guess work out by simply asking them.

So…do you like these ideas?  They’re just a few in my brainstorming arsenal!  Brainstorming is one of my favorite blogging tasks!

I am currently putting together an e-Course for lifestyle bloggers that will launch later this summer!  It will be 4 weeks of fun with a community of other lifestyle bloggers that are sharing the same struggles and questions that you have.  We’ll come together as a group and make some magic happen on your blog!

Brainstorming is one of the topics we’ll be going through in more detail since this is so important to successful blogging.  I’ll be giving your worksheets to help you come up with topics you would never have thought of before and I’ll guide you along the process, while sharing exactly what I do to keep my editorial calendar full and the ideas flowing.

If you’d like to get on the early list for more information, sign up below and you’ll be set for getting the first peek of what will be in the class and an early bird discount!

(You won’t be added to any other email list.  You’ll receive information on the course as it becomes available PLUS an exclusive discount just for those of you interested in getting updates!)

Do you currently brainstorm for topics?  Why or why not?

Comments

Brainstorming is always a great idea – love it! Pick up a fun,cute journal and pen…and just jot down ideas when you get them to save for later! Great advice. And…Pinterest is always a fabulous source for inspiration! xx, Karen // Glam Karen

Yep..it totally doesn’t work if you don’t have the cute journal/notebook and pen, ;)! My problem (as you know, lol) is that I have too many cute journals to pick from sometimes, lol. Thanks Karen!

I don’t know what’s up with that but I always feel the most inspired when I shower! I get a ton of post ideas that I used to forget because I was not writting them down. I have notebooks all around my apartment now so I don’t have any excuses 😉

Omgosh…yes!!!! I recently had this happen to me, Emilie…I had a general idea for something I had been mulling over, but nothing concrete. Then, inspiration hit in the shower and it was like bam, bam, bam! And I’m almost freaking out knowing I need to write all this down, but being ‘stuck’ in the shower with shampoo in my hair meant I had to hope I didn’t lose them by the time I got out, lol. Glad to know it’s not just me :)!

Katie says

Great Tips! I love the reader survey! I am going to check yours out and save that away for a future project!

Yay! Glad this was helpful Katie! I was a little nervous to do a reader survey, but it was such a GREAT experience, I can’t wait to do another one :).

I love this idea! I have a huge list of topics/posts that are all various ideas that have come to me randomly but I’ve never considered actually sitting down with the specific purpose of brainstorming. That’s very smart. One of the ways I am able to consistently come up with content is to utilize recurring features (like my Friday Coffee Chats), so that filling in the rest of my editorial schedule isn’t so daunting. I love the first idea about using your most popular content to fuel new ideas. That’s a really smart way to expound on something you’re already good at writing about. Great list!

While I definitely come up with ideas on the fly, I feel like my best ideas come from my brainstorming sessions, which is why I’m such a big fan of them! You get a few ideas and it can lead to even more ideas! And yes! Series are great ways to fill the calendar, but keep it interesting and people love knowing that certain things are coming on certain days! Excellent point, Miranda!

Courtney Edwards (@hersailingsoul) says

I have been struggling with this for some time now so THANK YOU for posting this! It’s definitely helpful!!

Lol…I know the feeling!! That’s why I love setting aside time to brainstorm, where I can shut everything else down and really focus in…sometimes magical things happen!

Fabulous fabulous fabulous tips, Vicky! When I first started blogging, I did an Excel stream of consciousness that essentially grounded my post ideas for, like, half a year! The tip on looking at your most popular posts is clutch, especially if you can somewhat easily rework it into a Part 2 or continuation sortof thing! And Pinterest…does the inspiration EVER cease there?!

cominguprosestheblog.com

Thanks Erica! An excel spreadsheet is always a good idea!! And yes, Pinterest is rabbit hole of inspiration for pretty much everything, lol.

Fab tips. I’m not often stumped for ideas but anytime I come across helpful posts like yours, I print them out or bookmark them to save for a rainy day. :)

Lindsay

Hi Lindsay! So glad you found this helpful! I’m glad that you can refer back to it going forward whenever you need that extra boost of inspiration :). Yay!

LOVE these tips. I sometimes have a tough time coming up with new blog ideas. This is going to be a huge help. Pinning this so I can look back at it later. :)

Yay! So glad this was helpful, Stephanie! :) It can definitely be challenging to come up with new posts, so having a good arsenal of ways to come up with new ideas is key…hopefully, this helps you come up with a lot of ideas!

These are all really great ideas! I need to do some brainstorming and evaluating soon, I’ll keep these tips in mind ☺️

Great!! I hope these prove to be helpful, Addie! It’s such a relief to end up with a nice long list of topics, so have fun doing some brainstorming! :)

Donna says

Some great ideas here, thanks for sharing! This will definitely come in handy. I work best if I set aside time on the weekend to just brainstorm as well :)

You’re welcome, Donna! So glad you found this helpful and I hope your upcoming brainstorming session yields lots of awesome ideas! :)

Perfect!! I’m so glad this popped up right when you needed it :)…I hope you come up with some awesome ideas for filling in the spot where your weekly series was. That can be both exciting and nerve racking, right?! But, I’m sure you’ll come up with some fantastic ideas :)!

Chelsie says

Great tips! I definitely use Google Analytics to see what people are reading the most and brainstorm ideas off of that! It really helps!

A friend and I inspire each other with blog post ideas. Our lives and blogs are different enough that we can do the same topic, but write completely different posts. Thanks for the additional inspiration! ~Cori from The Blog Love Project

That’s really cool! I love that idea and is so true…one topic can be sliced and diced so many different ways and still be interesting and relevant! Thanks for stopping by, Cori :)

I’m not going to complain about this, but I have…way too many things I want to write about, so I have at least 1-2 posts drafted/scheduled for each week out til October. (I’m one of those people, haw haw. ._.) These are really awesome tips though! :] I like the idea of sharing recently solved problems!

LOL! I know what you mean Farrah and that’s so awesome that you have tons of post ideas!! I love that you have them drafted/scheduled already…that’s WAY ahead of me and I wish I could be that on top of things (its my goal, but with everything else on my plate, probably not achievable right now :)).

It definitely happens, Lindsay! I like to try to make it as pleasant as possible…sometimes just going to Starbucks and ‘allowing’ myself one of those huge cookies that I never let myself get, helps put a pep in my step, lol.

Ashley L says

I don’t like doing reader survey s to inspire me for new ideas because I find that I try to write to accommodate their preferences and often that derails me from writing my own heart and soul. Instead, I like to mindmap off of my most popular content and generate new content that way.

That definitely makes sense, Ashley! It can be easy to toss ideas that you love because you’re thinking your readers don’t want to read it, but I still stay true to myself and if I want to share something, I do. I found it really helpful in that it confirmed the 3 areas I’m most passionate about are the same ones folks said they loved and wanted more of. So, that helped me to brainstorm even more for those areas!! But, I can absolutely see where it might be too limiting in some cases! :). I LOVE mindmapping…it’s it amazing where those little maps can take us :). Thanks for stopping by!

Danielle says

Love these tips! I find I run out of ideas sometimes–esp love the browse pinterest and use favorite quotes! Thank you!

Trackbacks

1. […] Vicky from Random Little Faves shows us 7 Quick Ways to Brainstorm for Blog Post Topics […]